Iowa's Research Universities
Iowa's research universities are active and advancing expertise in both education and R&D activities. The state's academic institutions contribute highly relevant capabilities to Manufacturing 4.0 development via their educational, workforce and research missions as well as valuable research equipment and infrastructure.
- Iowa State University (ISU)
- Center for Multiphase Flow Research and Education (CoMFRE) - Studies and simulates fluid systems and dynamics.
- Center for Nondestructive Evaluation (CNDE) - A collaboration that brings expertise and capabilities across national security applications and civil infrastructure.
- Virtual Reality Applications Center (VRAC) - Supports research focused on how humans and technology interact and how to enhance the productivity and creativity of people.
- Information Assurance Center (IAC) - Enhances cybersecurity awareness and capabilities.
- The Bioeconomy Institute - Advances the use of biorenewable resources for the production of fuels, energy, chemicals and materials.
- Ames Laboratory - The U.S. Department of Energy established the Critical Materials Institute (CMI) at the lab to develop resilient and secure supply chains for rare-earth metals and other materials vital to U.S. electronics and energy manufacturing.
- University of Iowa (UI)
- Center for Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing (CBB) - Manufactures recombinant proteins and specialty chemicals.
- University of Iowa Pharmaceuticals (UIP) - Manufactures and tests clinical and commercial products and contracts pharmaceutical services.
- Protostudios - Helps entrepreneurs, inventors and business owners develop full-functioning prototypes of their ideas, allowing them to test, redesign, determine manufacturing paths or demonstrate usability.
- Iowa MADE - Features products that are developed by UI, prototyped and manufactured locally, then sold through a web platform.
- University of Northern Iowa (UNI)
- Industrial Technology Center (ITC) - Provides education and hands-on training for students in manufacturing, technology and construction fields.